Well, it only took 10 years plus of dyeing, but I did it. For the first time evva, I screwed up a batch of dye. A whole colour wheel. A whole colour wheel on my expensive Test Fabrics mercersised cotton. HALF BLOODY METRE colour wheel to add insult to injury.
This is what happens folks, when you are not really well enough to be let loose with chemicals and fabric....
In an effort to see how little dye I could use to dye half metre pieces, I reduced down my usual recipe to a quarter strength:
Had enough left overs to do a metre each of a mid-strength green. So, these colours are OK, not a particularly bad result, but not up to their usual retina threatening brightness and full 'coverage'.
I also did a fuchsia graduation, following someone else's recipe and directions. This I didn't like, because basically, about five of the middle ones all look the bleeding same. I knew that it was going to happen, but wanted to give it a go anyway, as dye can be very deceptive until fully batched and rinsed (and ironed for that matter).....
Bloody waste of time. About the only thing it proved was how I should have followed my instincts.... Never mind, when I get my one pound jar of Sun Yellow next week, I shall throw it in a bucket and over dye it into a nice bright ORANGE! Or at least orange on all the middle ones and yellow and fuchsia on the darker ones.
But now for the dogs.
I don't really know how this went so wrong, but I used a full strength dye concentrate, batched it the usual way, but it all looked a bit too pale. Then all of it bloody well washed out! Arrrrggggghhhhh! This was what I was left with:
Bloody pastels. Nice if it was what I was after, and goodness knows, I have tried to dye pastels unsuccessfully in the past, but not what I wanted.
At first I had an absolute cow, thinking that my dye had finally gotten stale (it was a brand new jar of yellow), but when they all washed out, I relaxed and peeled myself off the roof. What I had done was overloaded my somewhat weakened soda ash bucket.
They are kinda growing on me, but are not helping me get the quilts that need to be done... well, done! Tomorrow I get back on the pony after my first really big tumble. Three different colour wheels no less, but this time on the budget range of fabric to begin with!
Then I have to get back to the mundane business of sorting Swarovski's, cutting up fabrics and foils, syringing adhesive into small containers and chasing up our US orders and our shipping agents. Then quilt construction!!
It's all fun.
Saw the new Harry Potter movie today with Darlinge. Apart from an appalling Indian lunch before hand, and cinema bum, it was fantastic. But sadly, movies and I don't really get on anymore. I'm going to be paying for this one for a few days. But no matter. I got to see it (better yet with Peter!), and apart from a few minor quibbles, I thought it was quite good.
The kids and I have just finished this book:
The Witches. Next up it's The BFG, which hopefully, will not be quite so tough on my vocal cords. I must say though, it is fun doing accents and things to amuse the kids. In all the years of reading to them, this is about the first book where I have felt able to do so.
I'm off to rest my head and read some more Maisie Dobbs.....